Monday, August 10, 2009

Tips for Painting...


I have recently been working on getting my nursery ready for our new addition - scheduled for next month. As always I wait until I am 8-9 months pregnant to get my nursery done. I did it with my first one and now here I am in the same boat with the second one. Believe me I am paying for it - my body hurts! Anyways I thought I would share with everyone some things I have learned last week as I attempted to paint a mural on my nursery wall...

Painting Tips:

  1. You don't need a gallon of brown paint when you are just painting a tree trunk.
  2. Mr. Clean Eraser pads come in handy when you paint something you didn't want to (like a window seal or wood work).
  3. Mr. Clean Eraser pads don't work if the paint is already dried.
  4. Don't get frustrated when you can make a perfectly straight line on a heavy texture wall.
  5. It doesn't have to be perfect (That's a big one for me, I'll repaint 100 times and I am still not happy).
  6. When you open the paint - that's not always the color you get.
  7. If you don't like the color - sleep on it, it's amazing how it can change magically over night when it has dried.
  8. Paint usually dries a tad darker.
  9. Experiment - you can always repaint (And I usually do)
  10. Don't be afraid to try something new.
  11. Painters tape doesn't always work.
  12. If you have a steady hand just use an angle brush for painting around windows, woodwork, and ceilings.
  13. No matter how small the project is, you should always use a drop cloth because accidents DO happen.
  14. If you don't want fuzzies on your wall - don't buy the cheap rollers from Wal-Mart.
  15. Don't paint over nails or screws - it takes a few seconds to pull them out and it looks so much better.

These are just a few things I have picked up by painting my nursery. I needed a way to separate the boy side from the girl side. I was so afraid to paint this tree mural over the window wall, and I am so glad I tried it because I love it! And yes I freehanded all of it - shocker I know, I didn't think it would turn out!


Oh and if you were wondering this isn't all I am doing to the walls, I am putting monkeys on the tree branches. That's why I left a lot of bare space. If I remember I will try and post a finished photo when it's all done.

2 comments:

  1. It's AMAZING!!!! I love it! :) I will have to hire you to do mine. You are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute Misty! You have so much creativity, I love it!

    ReplyDelete